Starting behind the microphone as a radio DJ, Sam Fishkin quickly found it more interesting to work with musicians creating that vinyl disc rather than just spinning it for others. Sam took any way he could to get to the world that fascinated him; he invited bands to interview on his late night show, broadcast live concerts, mixed sound at clubs all over the city, toured the states in an ol’ Econline van and, eventually, landed in a recording studio. That versatility in sound has allowed Sam to work in music and audio for film, television, radio, and advertising in almost every role, with the credentials to prove it.
There’s no genre Sam hasn’t heard and worked on.
In the past 20 years, he has mixed performances by Jennifer Hudson, Coldplay, Nine Inch Nails, Styx, Mumford & Sons, Childish Gambino, Lady Antebellum, and legendary blues artists Koko Taylor, Charlie Musselwhite, Tinsley Ellis, Lonnie Brooks, and John Lee Hooker. Fishkin’s film work includes the critically acclaimed Head Games directed by Oscar nominee Steve James (Hoop Dreams and The Interrupters), Allegory of the Cave by director Sandro Miller and starring John Malkovich, sports documentary Fordson: Faith. Fasting. Football directed by Rashid Ghazi. Television series work includes sound design and mixing for the last six seasons of CNBC’s American Greed and for the premiere season of Deadly Rich and Eastland-Chicago’s Deadliest Day for PBS.
In 2006, Sam co-founded Mix Kitchen, in its current Streeterville location. “I work with so many different artists and producers I needed a flexible and scalable studio,” says Fishkin. “Here, I can jump from a VO recording to surround film mixing to tracking a band all in a day.”
A New Jersey native, Sam graduated from Northwestern University with a major in Radio, TV & Film. He is a member of the Audio Engineering Society, EARS (Chicago), NARAS, and is past-president of the board of The Actors Gymnasium Circus Theater in Evanston, IL.
- Koko Taylor – Old School (album)
- Charlie Musselwhite – Deluxe Edition
- Ezra Koenig – Papa Hobo (Ceremony film soundtrack)
- Lonnie Brooks – Roadhouse Rules (album)
- David Cassidy – Songs My Father Taught Me
- Jason Mraz with Rachel Yamagata – Austin City Limits fest
- The Black Crowes – Bonnaroo Festival
- Tinsley Ellis – Moment of Truth (album)
- Saffire – Old, New, Borrowed & Blue (album)
- CJ Chenier & the Red Hot Louisiana Band – The Big Squeeze (album)
- Styx – Live at the Orleans Arena, Las Vegas
- Effigies – For Ever Grounded
- Herbie Hancock – Sound System
- Coco Montoya – Dirty Deal (album)
- Tinsley Ellis – Live! Highwayman
- Bill Laswell – Deconstruction: Celluloid Recordings
- Saffire- Hot Flash (album)